Hold On.


Under no circumstances should a parent have to attend a meeting regarding the results of their child's autopsy.

As we drove into Vancouver yesterday, I thought to myself...."I cannot believe this is my life."

I remember saying that sentence at other events in my existence such as getting married, meeting the governor of the Philippines, touching the walls of the great Taj Mahal.

But this...

This is one of those times that I wish this wasn't happening to me, to our life.

Going into that appointment yesterday, I was looking for answers. I wanted some sort of reason for why Rowan passed, other than an abnormal heart. We knew that when Rowan passed away, his heart was not the cause for his death. Yesterday, I was hoping for another reason...some other cause of such a tragic event.

But there was nothing.

We were told that there could have been some sort of metabolic issue that Rowan had, that caused him to pass, along with his complicated heart....but it was a 1 in 100,00o chance. We were told that even if he didn't have the surgery, that he would have passed away regardless because of the state of his blood gasses. This made me question...did we make the right decision? Should I have taken my baby home, to die peacefully in my arms? Rather than ripping open his chest and pumping him full of medical remedies....should we have just let him be? Or would I always have wondered if we should have done the surgery and gave him a fighting chance?

These questions, I wish I never had to ask.

Rowan also suffered from a stroke caused by the stress of being on the ECMO machine. If he was not taken off the machine the bleed in his brain would have cause severe brain damage if he survived. Should we have not put him on ECMO on the first place, as it wasn't really helping him?

I wish I could have done things differently. I wish I was a doctor or scientist that knew more about what we were up against. But I was just a simple mother, who wanted her son to live. And he didn't.

Sitting through yesterday was like loosing him all over again. Recounting every detail and date of what had happened that week, brought a cold reminder that my son was no longer with us.

BUT...

I got a phone call from my father in law this morning and he said this...

"You created a life that is living forever...
Rowan was born so that he could be in eternity...
And yes we miss him now but this life is short...and we will get to spend forever with him."

After all, these days on earth are so short and dated...when eternity with the Almighty,awaits you!

There is nothing that will heal the broken-ness of this heart today. Even the power of God, feels so small on days like today.

But there is a small candle buried deep deep down in my heart that has a tiny flame....

And that flame burns with hope.

Tiny, little hope.

Hope for a better tomorrow.





Comments

  1. O you poor, beautiful Girl. Though we've never met, I know through reading this that you're going to press on through the blackness of today. I'm going to pray for you and yours right now. May God shine His face upon you as you walk through the loss of your dear Rowan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't get the answers you were hoping for. But i wonder if you got them if it really would have helped? Ultimately you want your son... here on earth.
    Thank God for hope. Thank God that you will be with him once again. I can only imagine how you must long for that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, You are so right... these are questions that a parent should never have to ask. Yours is truly heartbreak no parent (no person)should never have to know. Ohh the pain and conflict of this fallen, broken world. Thank God for hope in His promise of an eternity where we will be reunited with our loved ones, and for comfort and memories while we wait.

    Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. Much love and many blessings to you and Jeremy. (The prayers from continue from myself and the women's group/prayer teams at Tenth Church in Vancouver.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori,

    Reading this breaks my heart for you both. My hope for you is that you don't quesion decisions you made for Rowan. You were thrown into a situation that you had never been in before. You made every decision FOR Rowan and you KNOW you never would have made a decision or done anything to hurt your son. Every choice and decision you made was from the heart as Rowan's Mom and you did the best you could for your son. Don't ever second guess that. It's not "normal" to be in these kinds of situations. We do the best we can in such a chaotic time.

    Your love for your son lives on for eternity. Remember that as well :)

    Tiffani
    http://bereavedparentsupport.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts