On Voodoo Dolls and Vending Machines....

Blockbuster. My Mecca on weekday nights. Jer and I mosey on in during the week to find a flick to watch. We loom down the isles exhaustedly, trying to pick one we can stay awake long enough to watch the ending…and settle for Sherlock Holmes. Ahhh good ol’ Robert Downey Junior and his comeback mission.

We pay for our show and thank the Blockbuster lady for magically erasing our $27.00 worth of fines away! Headed out the door, Jer stops and is enthralled by a vending machine. I keep going thinking it is some sort of hockey card or bubble gum toy that looks exciting to a 27 year old man.

He gets in the car, and says….

“You can buy a voodoo doll for $2.00 at Blockbuster. Yeah. For real.”

I have to admit that I have been thinking about this voodoo doll for the last month since I heard that sentence come out of his mouth. Think about it one more time.

YOU CAN BUY A VOODOO DOLL AT BLOCKBUSTER FOR $2.00.

Three things that are wrong with this sentence. One, you can buy a voodoo doll. Two,…at Blockbuster. Three, they are making money off of it.

I ask the question that I think every single day, the question that rolls around in my brain like a marble in a metal bowl….What is our world coming to?

I loved vending machines when I was little. Gum dropping down twisted, spiral tubes, carrying the hope of being the black one meaning I would win a prize. Or a red one because that was the next best colour. Stickers to cling to my awesome banana seat bike, glittering in the sunlight, making me feel I was a shiny star in the universe!

But those days are sadly gone. Now you can buy mini voodoo dolls that say on the package…

“Revenge in the Palm of Your Hand. This pocket-sized kit includes a voodoo doll, pins, and a 32-page introduction to voodoo spells and techniques. So, get out there and stick it to 'em!

Yeah kids, Stick It To ‘Em.

I feel like innocence has been stolen from us. That society has created this, “whatever feels good to you do it”, culture. It feels like peace is on the back burner, kindness… in the garbage dump, and happiness…well, its whatever makes you feel good at the moment.

I want the world to come back to goodness. Come back… like it was there at some point…but it never has been “good”. Just lesser degrees of bad!

And again I ask…What is our world coming to? But I take it one step further…

How can I be part of the change!

Comments

Popular Posts